Classification & external resources
Mastodynia, mastalgia or mammalgia are names for a medical symptom that means - pain in the breast (from the Greek masto-, breast and algos, pain).
Mastalgia is usually a benign disorder in young women due to hormonal imbalance during their menstrual cycle. During a menstrual cycle the breasts swell and become lumpy and tender. During a period, the breasts reabsorb the extra fluid inside instead of discharging it, causing breast pain. A breast exam and a breast ultrasound should be performed to make sure nothing is hidden.
Additional recommended knowledge
It can be subdivided into 2 main clinical patterns:
- cyclical when the pain is worse prior to each menstrual cycle
- This may occur with a woman's natural menstrual cycles and is not due to any hormone or breast disease.
- It may be caused by use of hormonal contraception
- non-cyclical when the pain is unrelated to periods.
- It may be related to the underlying muscle
- Trauma and resulting haematoma
- Infection is sometimes responsible, particularly during times of breast feeding.
- Breast engorgement during breast feeding (mastitis)
- Arthritis pain in the chest or neck felt as if it is coming from the breast.
Breast cancer is, in 19 out of 20 cases, not normally painful in the early stages. New onset of a painless lump should therefore be promptly assessed.
- caffeine - contains a chemical called (methylxanthine) that causes blood vessels to dilate
- salt - increases swelling by causing fluid retention
|Diseases of the pelvis, genitals and breasts (N40-N99, 600-629)|
|Diseases of male genital organs||prostate: Benign prostatic hyperplasia - Prostatitis
testicle/epididymis: Hydrocele testis - Spermatocele - Testicular torsion - Orchitis - Epididymitis - Male infertility (Azoospermia, Oligospermia)
penis: Phimosis - Balanoposthitis - Balanitis - Priapism - Erectile dysfunction - Peyronie's disease
Hematospermia - Retrograde ejaculation
|Disorders of breast||Chronic cystic mastitis - Mastitis - Gynecomastia - Galactorrhea - Mastodynia - Nipple discharge - Galactocele|
of female pelvic organs
|Pelvic inflammatory disease: Salpingitis - Oophoritis - Hydrosalpinx - Parametritis - Vaginitis - Vulvitis|
of female genital tract
|Endometriosis (Adenomyosis) - prolapse (Cystocele, Rectocele, Urethrocele)
obstetric fistulae (Vesicovaginal fistula, Rectovaginal fistula)
Ovarian cyst - Endometrial polyp - Retroverted uterus - Asherman's syndrome - Hematometra - Leukorrhea
menstruation (Amenorrhoea, Oligomenorrhea, Menorrhagia, Menometrorrhagia, Metrorrhagia, Dysmenorrhea)
intercourse (Dyspareunia, Vaginismus) - Mittelschmerz
Atrophic vaginitis - Habitual abortion - Female infertility (Anovulation) - Ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome
|See also congenital conditions (Q50-Q56, 752)|