Sodium valproate (INN) or valproate sodium (USAN) is the sodium salt of valproic acid and is an anticonvulsant used in the treatment of epilepsy and bipolar disorder, as well as other psychiatric conditions requiring the administration of a mood stabilizer. The intravenous formulations are used when oral administration is not possible.
Additional recommended knowledge
Trade names are in bold, followed by the manufacturer.
UK and Australia
- Tablets – Orlept by Wockhardt and Epilim by Sanofi-Aventis.
- Oral solution – Orlept Sugar Free by Wockhardt and Epilim by Sanofi-Aventis.
- Syrup – Epilim by Sanofi-Aventis.
- Intravenous injection – Epilim Intravenous by Sanofi-Aventis.
- Extended release tablets – Epilim Chrono by Sanofi-Aventis. A combination of sodium valproate and valproic acid in a 2.3:1 ratio.
- Enteric-coated tablets – Epilim EC200 by Sanofi-synthélabo. A 200 mg sodium valproate enteric-coated tablet.
Germany, Switzerland, Norway
- Tablets – Orfiril by Desitin Pharmaceuticals
- Intravenous injection – Orfiril IV by Desitin Pharmaceuticals
- Syrup – Convulex by Byk Madaus
- Tablets – Epilim by sanofi~synthelabo
In much of Europe, Depakine and Depakine Chrono are equivalent to Epilim and Epilim Chrono above.
|Barbiturates||Barbexaclone, Metharbital, Methylphenobarbital, Pentobarbital, Phenobarbital, Primidone|
|Hydantoins||Ethotoin, Fosphenytoin, Mephenytoin, Phenytoin|
|Oxazolidinediones||Ethadione, Paramethadione, Trimethadione|
|Succinimides||Ethosuximide, Mesuximide, Phensuximide|
|Benzodiazepines||Clobazam, Clonazepam, Clorazepate, Diazepam, Lorazepam, Midazolam, Nitrazepam, Temazepam|
|Carboxamides||Carbamazepine, Oxcarbazepine, Rufinamide|
|Fatty acid derivatives||Valpromide, Valnoctamide|
|Carboxylic acids||Valproic acid (Sodium valproate & Valproate semisodium), Tiagabine|
|Others||GABA analogs: Gabapentin, Pregabalin, Progabide, Vigabatrin -- Monosaccharides: Topiramate -- Aromatic allylic alcohols: Stiripentol -- Ureas: Phenacemide, Pheneturide -- Phenyltriazines: Lamotrigine
Carbamates: Emylcamate, Felbamate, Meprobamate -- Pyrrolidines: Brivaracetam, Levetiracetam, Nefiracetam, Seletracetam
Sulfa drugs: Acetazolamide, Ethoxzolamide, Sultiame, Zonisamide -- Propionates: Beclamide -- Aldehydes: Paraldehyde -- Bromides: Potassium bromide, Sodium bromide