Classification & external resources
Ectrodactyly, commonly known as lobster claw syndrome , sometimes known as Karsch-Neugebauer syndrome, is a rare congenital deformity of the hand where the middle digit is missing, and the hand is cleft where the metacarpal of the finger should be. This split gives the hands the appearance of lobster claws.
Ectrodactyly may also be known as "lobster claw hand", "split hand deformity", "split hand/foot malformation (SHFM)", "cleft hand", "ectrodactilia of the hand" or "Karsch-Neugebauer syndrome", after J. Karsch and H. Neugebauer .
Famous people with ectrodactyly
- Bree Walker - News anchor for 20 years KCBS news in Los Angeles; actress on HBO drama Carnivàle. She also appears in the fourth season premiere of FX's Nip/Tuck playing a real estate agent counseling parents expecting a child with ectrodactyly. Also appeared, along with her 2 children who also suffer from Ectrodactyly, on an episode of "My Unique Family" on The Learning Channel.
- Grady "Lobster Boy" Stiles
- ^ "Medical Mystery: Ectrodactyly", ABC News, 2007-01-27.
- ^ Karsch, J. Erbliche Augenmissbildung in Verbindung mit Spalthand und -fuss. Z. Augenheilk. 89: 274-279, 1936.
- ^ Neugebauer H (1962). "Split hand and foot with familial occurrence." (in German). Zeitschrift für Orthopädie und ihre Grenzgebiete 95: 500-6. PMID 14479171.
- ^ USATODAY.com - Embracing her 'inner freak'. Retrieved on 2007-07-01.
|Congenital malformations and deformations of musculoskeletal system (Q65-Q79, 754-756)|
|Limbs||hip: Dislocation of hip/Hip dysplasia
feet (Club foot, Flat feet, Pes cavus)
head, face, spine and chest: skull, face and jaw (Dolichocephaly, Plagiocephaly) - Scoliosis - chest (Pectus excavatum, Pectus carinatum)
Polydactyly/Syndactyly (Webbed toes)
reduction deficits (Ectrodactyly, Amelia, Phocomelia)
upper limb (Cleidocranial dysostosis, Madelung's deformity, Sprengel's deformity)
knee (Genu valgum, Genu varum)
|Skull and face bones||Craniosynostosis (Scaphocephaly) - Trigonocephaly - Oxycephaly - Crouzon syndrome - Hypertelorism - Macrocephaly - Treacher Collins syndrome - Platybasia|
|Spine and bony thorax||Klippel-Feil syndrome - Spondylolisthesis - Cervical rib - Bifid rib|
|Osteochondrodysplasia||growth of tubular bones and spine: Achondrogenesis - Thanatophoric dysplasia - Short rib-polydactyly syndrome - Chondrodysplasia punctata (Rhizomelic chondrodysplasia punctata, Conradi-Hünermann syndrome), Achondroplasia (Hypochondroplasia, Osteosclerosis congenita) - Ellis-van Creveld syndrome - Spondyloepiphyseal dysplasia congenita|
Osteogenesis imperfecta - McCune-Albright syndrome - Osteopetrosis - Metaphyseal dysplasia - Hereditary multiple exostoses - Osteopoikilosis - Chondrodystrophy - Osteodystrophy
|Other||abdominal wall (Congenital diaphragmatic hernia, Omphalocele, Gastroschisis, Prune belly syndrome) - Ehlers-Danlos syndrome|
|See also non-congenital conditions (M, 710-739)|