The Bartholin's glands (also called Bartholin glands or greater vestibular glands) are two glands located slightly below and to the left and right of the opening of the vagina in women. They secrete mucus to provide lubrication.
Additional recommended knowledge
Bartholin's glands are homologous to Cowper's glands in males. However, while Bartholin's glands are located in the superficial perineal pouch, Cowper's glands are located in the deep perineal pouch.
They were first described in the 17th century, by the Danish anatomist Caspar Bartholin the Younger (1655-1738). Some sources mistakenly ascribe their discovery to his grandfather, theologian and anatomist Caspar Bartholin the Elder (1585 - 1629).
- ^ a b http://summit.stanford.edu/ourwork/PROJECTS/LUCY/lucywebsite/vestib_gl.html
- ^ Viscera of the Urogenital Triangle, University of Arkansas Medical School
- ^ Chrétien, F.C.; Berthou J. (Sept. 18, 2006). "Crystallographic investigation of the dried exudate of the major vestibular (Bartholin's) glands in women.". Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol.. PMID 16987591. Retrieved on 2007-07-23.
- ^ C. C. Gillispie (ed.): Dictionary of Scientific Biography, New York 1970. See the article on Thomas Bartholin.
- ^ synd/3320 at Who Named It
|Female reproductive system|
|Follicles/Folliculogenesis||corpus (hemorrhagicum, luteum, albicans) • Theca folliculi (externa, interna) • Follicular antrum (Follicular fluid) • Corona radiata • Zona pellucida • Membrana granulosa (Granulosa cells)|
|Ovaries/Oogenesis||Germinal epithelium • Tunica albuginea • cortex (Cumulus oophorus, Stroma) • Medulla|
|Fallopian tubes||Isthmus • Ampulla • Infundibulum • Fimbria|
|Ligaments||Broad (components: Mesovarium, Mesosalpinx, Mesometrium contents: Round of uterus, Proper of ovary) • Suspensory of ovary • Cardinal|
|Uterus||cervix/neck (External orifice - Canal of the cervix, Internal orifice) • corpus/body (Cavity of the body, Fundus) • layers (Endometrium, Myometrium, Perimetrium)|
|Vulva/mons pubis||Labium: commissures (Anterior • Posterior) • Frenulum labiorum pudendi • Labia majora • Cleft of venus • Labia minora • Vulval vestibule • interlabial sulci
Clitoris: Vestibular bulbs • Clitoral crura • Corpus cavernosa • Clitoral glans (Frenulum, Hood)
Vagina: vestibular glands/ducts (Bartholin's glands/Bartholin's ducts, Skene's glands/Skene's ducts) • Fossa of vestibule of vagina • Vaginal fornix • Hymen • Orifice
|Vestiges||Wolffian (Gartner's duct, Epoophoron, Paroöphoron) • Canal of Nuck|
|Other||G-spot • Urethral sponge|