My watch list  


Arytenoid cartilage
Glottis positions
MeSH Glottis
Dorlands/Elsevier g_08/12395255

The space between the vocal cords is called the glottis.



As the vocal cords vibrate, the resulting vibration produces a "buzzing" quality to the speech, called voice or voicing.

Sound production involving only the glottis is called glottal. English has a voiceless glottal fricative spelled "h". In many accents of English the glottal stop (made by pressing the folds together) is used as a variant allophone of the phoneme /t/ (and in some dialects, occasionally of /k/ and /p/); in some languages, this sound is a phoneme of its own.

Skilled players of the Australian didgeridoo restrict their glottal opening in order to produce the full range of timbres available on the instrument. [1]

The vibration produced is an essential component of voiced consonants as well as vowels. If the vocal folds are drawn apart, air flows between them causing no vibration, as in the production of voiceless consonants.

  • Voiced consonants include /w/, /v/, /z/, /ʒ/, /ʤ/, /ð/, /b/, /d/, and /g/.
  • Voiceless consonants include /h/, /ʍ/, /f/, /s/, /ʃ/, /ʧ/, /θ/, /p/, /t/, and /k/.

Additional images

See also

  • Phonation


  1. ^ See "Acoustics: The vocal tract and the sound of a didgeridoo", by Tarnopolsky et al. in Nature 436, 39 (7 July 2005))

References of Glottis Simulator

de Menezes Lyra R. Glottis simulator. Anesth Analg. 1999 Jun;88(6):1422-3.[1]

Smith, N Ty. Simulation in anesthesia: the merits of large simulators versus small simulators. Current Opinion in Anaesthesiology. 13(6):659-665, December 2000.

This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article "Glottis". A list of authors is available in Wikipedia.
Your browser is not current. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 does not support some functions on Chemie.DE