To use all functions of this page, please activate cookies in your browser.
With an accout for my.bionity.com you can always see everything at a glance – and you can configure your own website and individual newsletter.
- My watch list
- My saved searches
- My saved topics
- My newsletter
Labopharm Reports Positive Results for Phase III Study on Once-daily Trazodone
Study Achieves Primary Efficacy Endpoint and Demonstrates Improved Quality of Sleep
12-02-2008: Labopharm Inc. announced that its recently completed North American Phase III clinical trial for its once-daily formulation of the antidepressant trazodone (study 04ACL3-001) achieved statistical significance for the primary efficacy endpoint (p value of 0.0183). The study also demonstrated significantly improved patient sleep patterns in favour of trazodone. Labopharm plans to file a New Drug Application (NDA) for its once-daily formulation of trazodone with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration later this year.
"The positive results of this study not only demonstrate the efficacy and safety of our once-daily formulation, but also the ability of our formulation to significantly improve the overall quality of sleep - there was significantly less awakening at night," said James R. Howard-Tripp, President and Chief Executive Officer, Labopharm Inc. "It is recognized that a major challenge in treating depression is having patients comply with taking their medication due to slow onset of action and exacerbation of sleep disturbance and agitation. As a result, a once-daily depression treatment that also reduces agitation and improves quality of sleep, thus reducing the need for add-on therapies, should be well positioned in the antidepressant marketplace. We believe that our once-daily trazodone formulation is such a treatment."
Trazodone is an atypical anti-depressant that acts as a dual serotonin agonist and serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SARI). Trazodone appears to increase serotonin activity via three mechanisms: the activation of neuronal serotonin receptors; the inhibition at the neuronal serotonin feedback system which regulates the action of serotonin; and the inhibition of the re-uptake of serotonin. Trazodone also helps to treat depression by improving sleep as a result of sedative effects caused by activation of histamine receptors and initiation and restoration of deep sleep cycles as a result of serotonin receptor activation. This may be of clinical benefit in depressed patients who have agitation, insomnia or poor sleep quality associated with their depression.
This is where you can add this news to your personal favourites
- 1Rosetta Resolver® Gene Expression Data Analysis System licensed by Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- 2Pharma’s New Hero: Supergenerics Save Money and Improve Drugs
- 3Pro Bono Bio Launches Flexiseq: A Novel Approach to the Treatment of Osteoarthritis
- 4Researchers divide enzyme to conquer genetic puzzle
- 5Merck & Co., Inc. Opens Asia Pacific Regional Headquarters in Singapore
- 6Pharmexa enters into an agreement regarding GV1001 with the Korean company KAEL Co. Ltd
- 7Pharmexa A/S sells Pharmexa-Epimmune to the Korean company VaxOnco, Inc.
- 8Sanofi-aventis to acquire Oenobiol
- 9MIV-210 - a potential drug against hepatitis B and HIV - enters phase II
- 10Vivacta Initiates Development of Point of Care Test for Vitamin D
- Malvern Instruments announces global agreement with Proveris Scientific
- Analytik Jena to develop products for sepsis diagnostics
- analytica Vietnam 2013 – Platform for innovations
- Promega and BASF develop alternative method on identifying allergenic substances
- Prosensa receives rare disease 'Company Award' from EURORDIS