To use all functions of this page, please activate cookies in your browser.
With an accout for my.bionity.com you can always see everything at a glance – and you can configure your own website and individual newsletter.
- My watch list
- My saved searches
- My saved topics
- My newsletter
EMBO Gold Medal 2012 awarded to Jiří Friml
Pioneering work on auxin transport and gradient formation in plants / opportunities for agriculture
28-06-2012: EMBO announced Jiří Friml of the Department of Plant Systems Biology, VIB and Ghent University, Belgium and Central European Institute of Technology, University Brno, Czech Republic as the winner of the 2012 EMBO Gold Medal.
Friml receives the award for defining how the plant hormone auxin functions to regulate plant development. He was also recognized for showing how the auxin-governed molecular processes optimise adaptation of plant development and growth to ever-changing environmental conditions.
“His groundbreaking results influence and continue to shape present and future efforts in a number of areas of plant biology research,” stated EMBO Member Ferenc Nagy. The results of Friml’s research are of major importance to agriculture as they provide a basis for targeted engineering that could lead to the development of plants that produce higher yields or which are more resistant to drought.
“Being awarded by my peers from EMBO is an immense honour and gives me great encouragement for my further work. I would like to think that this award is not only for me but also in a wider sense for plant research which deserves more support and could definitely benefit from more awareness,” said the Gold Medal winner.
Contact / Request information
Request further information free of charge:
This is where you can add this news to your personal favourites
- EMBO Gold Medal
- plant hormones
- 1Rosetta Resolver® Gene Expression Data Analysis System licensed by Aventis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- 2Pharma’s New Hero: Supergenerics Save Money and Improve Drugs
- 3Pro Bono Bio Launches Flexiseq: A Novel Approach to the Treatment of Osteoarthritis
- 4Researchers divide enzyme to conquer genetic puzzle
- 5Merck & Co., Inc. Opens Asia Pacific Regional Headquarters in Singapore
- 6Pharmexa A/S sells Pharmexa-Epimmune to the Korean company VaxOnco, Inc.
- 7Sanofi-aventis to acquire Oenobiol
- 8Pharmexa enters into an agreement regarding GV1001 with the Korean company KAEL Co. Ltd
- 9DSM Sinochem Pharmaceuticals opens new 6-APA intermediate plant in China
- 10Pharmsynthez granted Orphan Drug Designation for Virexxa in the US
- Exposure to high pollution levels during pregnancy may increase risk of havi ...
- New virus discovered in patients with central nervous system infections
- Concussion patients show Alzheimer's-like brain abnormalities
- Can new FDA graphic warning labels for tobacco pass a first amendment legal ...
- The Facebook effect: Social media dramatically boosts organ donor registration